Sunday, May 17, 2009

The wonders of WiZiQ...


One of the courses I am taking for my masters this quarter in GED 578, which is Alternative Learning Environments. For this course we were each asked to create a Wikki on a certain educational topic. For my Wikki I was assigned to write about virtual classrooms. Through my research I came across a great site that I had never heard of before. The site was called WiZiQ.

WiziQ is a website that allows people to teach and learn online in a virtual classroom. The virtual classrooms have interactive whiteboards and you can sign up for a wide variety of different classes. The virtual classrooms also have voice and video support. The site has an educational database that you can search to find information, such as power points, on specific topics. You can also use the database to upload and share you own information. WiZiQ also makes networking with other students a snap with features that allow you to important contacts from your existing email account. The site is free for a basic membership or you can upgrade to a paid premium membership if you want to.

I was very amazed with this site and kind of surprised we have not learned about in my Alternative Learning Environments class. WiZiQ actually reminds me of a cross between Skype and blackboard. Its amazing that you can have an online class where you can not only see and hear your professor but also interact with them, as well as other classmates, on a virtual whiteboard. I also really liked the fact that if you miss a session that you would have liked to attend you could always go back and listen to the recording. I think this would be an amazing tool for teachers and could hold a lot of great possibilities!

Check out this video to see what its all about!



Video URL

No comments:

Post a Comment