Monday, May 25, 2009

Second Life and education....



For my Alternative Learning Environments class we had an online meeting in Second Life last Thursday. It was an interesting experience to say the least. I had already had some experience in this area since I have researched it for my Virtual Classrooms Blog. We all first meet into a little conference room and I was surprised to see that everyone looked like they were there. Our Teacher, Dr. Roby, began by asking a series of three questions. After each on was asked the responses flew by at what seemed like 100mph. I was very overwhelmed to say the least. I felt like I couldn’t type fast enough to get my thoughts in edgewise. After that we began teleporting to other various places such as a museum, someone’s house, Venice, Paris, and even a pub for our wrap up!

Now let me give u a little bit more information on what Second Life is all about in case you’re a little bit lost. Second life is a free 3-D virtual world that allows user to explore and create through their avatars. Avatars are the animated charters that each user must create in order to sign up for the site. One you have your avatar you can explore, create, and use second life. Second life is growing fast and is not only being used for social networking anymore. Now it is also being used more frequently for business purposes as well as educational purposes. According to the official site you must be 18 years or older to join, but teens ages 13-17 are encouraged to check out Teen Second Life.

As far as educational uses go it seems like there could be quite a few. I would think distance leaning would be one of the top benefits. I came across an article about a teacher, Dr. Fishwick, who holds his classes on a virtual island in second life that he created. My own Second life class meeting, as I told you about before, was another example. There are a number of other interesting educational uses for Second Life that I have come across also. Please take a look at the wikki Second Life in Education for more information. Oh and check out the picture below…It’s a snap shot of my class session in Second life! My avatar is the one in the jeans, with the red shirt, and blonde hair right in front. My professor’s avatar is in the back right with the red shirt and gray slacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment