Sunday, May 10, 2009

Online learning with Skype...


Skype is an online service that allows you to make calls over the Internet. All you need is a microphone and a web cam, if you wish, to get started. Most of the features Skype offers are free such as the Skype to Skype calls. Other services such as calls to land lines and cell phones come at a nominal charge.


I actually had my first experience with Skype just a few days ago and I must say that I was very impressed. I had a meeting with my college professor and it was very nice to be able to actually see her talking to me. It was a cross between talking in person and talking on the phone. I didn’t have a web cam at the time, but since then I have purchased one and began telling friends and family about the service. It’s nice to be able to talk to my family in Hesperia, that I don’t get to see very much, and see them as well.


Once I purchased the web cam I also began thinking about the many educational possibilities Skype holds. How amazing would it be to take you class on a field trip to the zoo…in Africa! With Skype it possible and only a phone call away. The class could be able to tour the zoo through the eyes of the web cam with hearing a tour guide at the same time. I can only imagine the other possibilities that Skype could open up to teachers and their classes.


Check out links below to discover more about Skype!


Skype Video Tutorial:


See me, Hear me: Skype in the classroom:


Seven things you should know about Skype:


Making a video call with Skype:


No comments:

Post a Comment